by Jim Poinsett, Secretary
Minutes of the February 2018 Meeting of the Amateur Astronomers Association of Princeton
- The meeting was called to order at 7:30.
- Director Rex explained the amendment to the constitution that was to be voted upon, adding outreach and observatory chairs to the board of directors.
- Voting was conducted and the result was 46 yes and 0 no. The amendment passed.
- A second vote was taken on the expenditure of up to $2000 for a new camera and accessories for the observatory. All members present voted yes.
- There was discussion on the new camera. Three models were possibilities:
- Atik Infinity
- Starlight Xpress Ultrastar
- Mallincam Star Vision
- There are reviews on all three on the Cloudynights forum. All three will be good for public nights and member use.
- Observatory –
- Work continues on the focusing end of the HB refractor. It is anticipated it will be ready for the public season.
- The observatory duty calendar will be out soon. (It is out now).
- The columns that hold the roof when it is rolled back continue to degrade. Whether to repair or replace is the main question. Discussion will be continued at the next meeting and the board meeting.
- Bill Murray discussed training keyholders on what to see in the sky this spring and what will be good to show the public. A date will be picked soon, probably in April.
- There are several Planetarium/Observatory combination nights planned. The first two on the 11th and 18 of May and the second set on the 12th and 19th of October.
- The planetarium is planning a special presentation on November 24th called “Choosing Your first Telescope”. They would like several members to show up and set theirs up in the lobby for people to see and ask questions about.
- John Church announced that the HB equatorial head has been found. It is being refurbished and will be put back in use.
- There was an outreach event at the Stuart Country Day School on Feb 27th. Check the calendar on our website for more Outreach opportunities.
- The meeting was adjourned.