by Jim Poinsett, Secretary
Minutes of the October 2017 Meeting of the AAAP
• Rex called the meeting to order at 7:30
• Two speakers for the evening
– Arshad Jiliani showed the video he compiled of the trip to Oregon to view the total eclipse taken by a group of club members. He also answered some questions during a brief Q&A session afterwards.
– Rex Parker explained how to sign up and use the club membership to take photos using the Skynet Robotic Telescope Network. It is a free benefit for all club members interested in using it.
• After the break, the first topic discussed was the club sponsored star party, Star Quest. This year was possibly the best weather ever for the event, everyone who was able to attend had a great time. Next years event will be held on the weekend of October 5-6, 2018. A change in pricing will be discussed at the board meeting as the fee charged only covered about 50% of the expense.
• The observatory was the next item discussed. This has been a very good year for the observatory with few weeks to go. The equipment has held up very well.
– The Mewlon’s image is less than ideal. It needs to be collimated. Takahashi sells a tool to do this, it is about $400 but would also be adaptable for use on member owned scopes. The board will discuss buying it at the next board meeting.
– A discussion was held on the need for better monitor for the video camera. The possibility of needing a higher resolution camera was also brought up as an alternative. Further discussion will be held before the next viewing season.
– The topic of security at the observatory was also brought up. With the additional equipment better security is warranted and with the addition of internet access better security is readily available. Several options will be prepared for the board meeting in December.
• The program committee is looking for members to give about a 10 minute presentation at our meetings. Anyone interested in showing or discussing a topic that interests them please let the program chair know.
• There being no more business do discuss, the meeting was adjourned.