by Jim Poinsett, Secretary
- Rex brought the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
- The first topic of the evening was that Peyton Hall should be ready for our September meeting. Rex will keep us informed. (It has since been confirmed that we will be back in Peyton Hall beginning with the September meeting).
- Ira Polans announced that the Program Committee (Ira, Prasad Ganti, John Miller) has five speakers already confirmed for the upcoming meeting season.
- The website is going through a thorough re-design by Surabhi Agarwal and Michael Wright and will hopefully be finished within 60 days. Members may preview the format at cricketdocumentary.com/aaap . This is a temporary site and may not be available at all times.
- It was discussed how well the video was working for the observatory with the makeshift monitor and computers. It should only be better when all the new equipment is in place. One of the upgrades is a quality analog to digital converter to replace the generic one in use for testing.
- Upcoming plans for the observatory include mounting the 10” Newtonian on the same mount as the HB refractor and testing the two C-14 scopes in our possession side by side to decide if one has noticeably better optics than the other. A work party is planned for August 26th.
- The club will have a picnic on Sunday Oct 18th at the pavilion by the Nature Center in Washington Crossing Park provided the facilities are available. The rain date would be Oct 25th. An observing session will follow the picnic at the observatory provided the skies are clear enough. Rex will contact the park about availability.
- StarQuest was discussed and it was decided to make it an observing-centered event. No advance registration will be required, and no food will be provided. Details will be sent out to all club members and should have been received by the time these minutes are published. If you missed them, click here.
- It was decided to rotate the team schedule for the observatory so the same teams are not always working the same weekends every year. Team 2 will be the first team next year with Team 3 first the year after that and so on.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:55 as the library was closing.