Larry Kane, Secretary
The meeting was called to order by Director Ludy D’Angelo.
- Director’s Report: Most of his report is in the Sidereal Times.
- Secretary’s Report: Nothing to report, but Larry Kane stated he had announcements on another agenda item.
- Treasurer’s Report: The Treasurer was not in attendance, but his report appears in another section of the Sidereal Times.
- Observatory Report: Co-chair Gene Ramsey announced that the observatory now has a working heater in the computer room. He also announced that he fixed the wheels on the computer room chair. He has instructions for operating the new alarm system. Gene also announced that the WC park rangers took our lock off the Bear Tavern Road gate because they did not realize we use the observatory during the winter. The rangers told Gene that the person who drove a vehicle onto the soccer field did $3,000 in damages and the rangers now come to see who is entering the park. Gene stated that the new keyholder public night duty schedule will be prepared soon. He recommended that anyone using the clubs telescopes on a non-public night should try use the bino-viewers.
- Outreach: Outreach Coordinator, Dave Letcher, announced two up-coming star parties: March 16 at the Hopewell Elementary School, and March 30, March 29 or April 12 at Stewart Country Day School. Dave announced that a reporter from the US 1 newspaper approached him to do an interview about the AAAP or some current idea in astronomy. It was suggested that Bill Murray contact the reporter. Dave noted that the star party at the Lawrenceville Elementary School was well attended by both the public and the AAAP members.
- Sidereal Times: Co-editor Michael Wright announced that the deadline for the next edition is March 1. A special 50th anniversary issue is being planned for November, 2012. Club members should consider submitting remembrances etc. that would be included in the issue. Ludy suggested that we go through the archives and put together an exhibit on the club. We can do something with the Princeton Public Library. John Church has information on past speakers and topics going back to the beginning of the club.
- UACNJ Membership: We need to appoint a club delegate and an alternate delegate. Bill Murray volunteered to be the delegate. Michael Wright volunteered to be the alternate. Ludy announced that we, as a membership club, will be doing some star parties at Jenny Jump. UNCNJ will have a table at N.E.A.F.
- Cole Field is now gated. There will be a meeting with several astronomy clubs in the area to discuss future access. AAAP has been invited. Jeff Bernardis will be attending the meeting.
- 50th Anniversary Events: Secretary Larry Kane discussed his meeting with Congressman Rush Holt. The Congressman is eager to join us for the Venus transit in June and he knew many of the details concerning the location for the observation. Larry will follow up with Communiversity Day in Princeton to get the AAAP a presence there. Ludy is working on getting usinto Baldpate Park for the Venus transit. We will hire a van or shuttle bus to get the public up to the viewing site. It was suggested that after sunset, we could do night-time observing at the site. Rex Parker has a lead to pursue for renting a shuttle bus. Ludy said that we will be able to work with the Princeton Library in the future to do events with their support. He raised the idea of an anniversary dinner in November. We might invite former guest lecturers to attend the dinner. Larry announced that he made a contact at the National Air and Space Museum for group tours. Ludy said he contacted the Naval Observatory, and they go have group tours. We have to work out the logistics for both. Larry will look into doing this. Ludy wants to have a picnic in the spring.
The meeting was adjourned by the Director.